Gipuzkoa Advanced New Therapies Territory (GANTT) is a collaborative project with which we want to consolidate Gipuzkoa as an international benchmark in the development of cell, gene and RNA therapies with an industrial orientation.
What are advanced therapies?
Advanced therapies are highly innovative medicines that are based on the use of genes, cells or tissues to prevent or treat diseases.
Some of these strategies been in development for years and are already being applied in clinical practice, such as for example in the treatment of certain blood diseases or in tissue regeneration.
Due to their potential it is also possible to think abourt future applications for other pathologies, as is the case of neurodegenerative muscular disorders and other complex diseases.
Why are advanced therapies important?
Advanced therapies owe their importance to the high potential that they have to provide personalised treatment.
They are also revolutionising medicine as they are being put forward as new therapeutic strategies for the treatment of diseases that up to now have no other effective treatments.
All over the world, public and private bodies are making efforts, through clear strategies and by investing millions to establish a significant strategic position in this field.
Main courses of action
The commitment by Gipuzkoa Provincial Council is rooted on the creation of an eco-system to develop advanced therapies, based on the existing capacities and the realities of the region and technology.
Taking advantage of the presence of the industrial sector in Gipuzkoa, an academia-public sector-industry collaboration process is being launched to help the region to grow.
The aim is to launch funding models and specific actions, as use cases, adapted to the region that will make it possible to boost the current eco-system.
Various agents in the historical terrritory of Gipuzkoa have made an effort coordinated by the Provincial Council to define a strategy that will allow them to make the territory a benchmark in the field of advanced therapies.
The strategy focuses on the development of a contract development and manufacturing model (CDMO) that positions the region as an agent in charge of production (e.g. viral vectors) in the supply chain for Advanced Therapies, that also include research services (CRO).
Promoting an entire ecosystem based around Advanced Therapies that enables the development of manufacturing (CDMO) and research (CRO) services with a global scope, by integrating the development of knowledge, specific infrastructures, boosting the value chain (support for dynamic firms and entrepreneurship) and the attraction and retention of talent.
Focus of the initiative
The first key point of GANTT is the creation of an industrial value chain, by improving production processes through the digitisation and automation of processes.
- Approach based on a “regional CRO and CDMO” model.
- Focus on production, integrating this in the value chain of already existing companies or dynamic firms, opening up opportunities for entrepreneurship and boosting training in Advanced Therapies.
To do this, six main strategic guidelines have been identified and an action plan defined based on five blocks with the aim of making Gipuzkoa and its region a benchmark.
- Positioning Gipuzkoa as a benchmark in the field of Advanced Therapies with a niche strategy in Gene Therapy and Cell Therapy.
- Creating an industrial value chain that provides services for Advanced Therapies companies.
- Boosting the development of currently existing companies so that they can act as dynamic firms.
- Making Gipuzkoa a specialised region in clinical trials in advanced therapies.
- Designing a specific training plan to create the required talent .
- Designing an ad-hoc financing plan in Advanced Therapies.